Skip to main content

Puppy Falls Face First Into Cactus: Happy Ending When ‘Cactus Jack’ Gets Adopted

This little Yorkie/Terrier mix pup was surely a sight for sore eyes after he fell face first onto a cactus. The Phoenix pup, dubbed ‘Cactus Jack’ was found by a good Samaritan who heard the puppy’s distressful cries and horrifyingly discovered that the dog had become attached to a cactus. The person called the Arizona Humane Society who quickly came to rescue the poor pooch.

While waiting for help to arrive, reports the Huffington Post, the good Samaritan “quickly went to work extracting Cactus Jack and pulling out the sharp spines from his body. By the time AHS arrived, the good Samaritan had nearly filled up a five-gallon bucket with spines.”

The eight-week-old puppy received immediate care and the medical team finished the tedious job of removing each and every cactus needle. Amazingly, despite the amount of needles stuck in his face, his eyes remained unharmed. He was treated with antibiotics and given an otherwise clean bill of health.

When the good people of Arizona heard about this puppy’s plight, a large number of them inquired about adopting him, so the Humane Society held a drawing. The society sold 73 tickets for auction and one lucky winner was chosen yesterday. In addition, at least 8 other dogs were adopted from the shelter the same day.


Look at how beautiful Cactus Jack looks now:


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Keep Your Dog Safe With These Holiday Safety Tips!

    ‘Tis the season for putting up decorations and eating delicious holiday treats, but that also means pets could be getting into serious trouble! Trupanion , a leading provider of medical insurance for cats and dogs, sees a 10% increase in foreign body ingestion claims and a 24% increase in toxicity claims during the holiday months each year. But you can keep your pets safe this holiday season with the below tips from Dr. Sarah Nold:

10 Strangest Items Swallowed By Dogs

My mother’s Schnauzer mix, Sha Sha, eats just about anything.  I didn’t quite believe just how often she would quickly snap up everything in her sight until a few weeks ago when she swallowed a quarter and a nickel in the blink of an eye. The vet advised my mother to watch her for the next few days as the coins would likely pass. It’s a very common issue among dog owners and it doesn’t only happen with puppies. The majority of dogs do grow out of the need to eat inedible objects. It can be difficult to pinpoint exactly what a puppy would eat so it’s best to be vigilant about where you dog is allowed to freely roam. Many dogs and puppies have been known to swallow seemingly unsuitable items, which  you might not find in any way enticing or preferable, but they do. Check out this list of the strangest things swallowed by dogs as witnessed by the  ASPCA :

10 Most Common Medical Conditions That Send Dogs to the Vet

No one likes going to the vet, especially our dogs. Like many others, my dogs can sense when they are going way before we get there. They get nervous and hyper. Some dogs whimper endlessly at the vet’s office while countless others have fear-induced accidents right in the office. While regular check-ups and vaccinations are a necessary evil, we can try our best to keep our pups in optimal health thus avoiding another dreaded trip. Veterinary Pet Insurance  compiled a list of the 10 most common medical conditions that send dogs to the vet. Some are unavoidable while others may be caught early on. Dr. Carol McConnell, DVM points out that many of the conditions that most regularly require vet visits “can be stopped early or successfully managed in partnership with a veterinarian. To prevent some of the discomfort that so many pets experience from common diseases, the place to start would be by checking them regularly for developing problems.” Check out the full list here at Babb